-
February 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
I've read that heat and knocks will cause the magnetic strength of alnico magnets to deteriorate.
Need more clarity on knocks. What kind of knocks are we talking about? Dropping on the floor from knee height? waist?
Is there a quick way to check?
Thanks
-
February 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
#2
Inactive Member
How high are your knees?
Seriously though, (LOL), unless both have been dropped, compare the output of one to the other. If the dropped one is noticeably weaker, remag both. WRT heat, voice coils and other components will go south long before permanent demagging occurs (approx. 1,000 deg. F for Alnico). Age is far more likely to cause problems than heat. Search the archives for more (opinionated) discussion, or check out;
http://www.magnetsales.com/Design/DesignG_2.htm
-
February 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Tip;
Read less, listen more. If you like what you hear, does it really matter what others think? I guess it really boils down to whether you prefer to listen to music, or talk about listening to music. The availability of info today can be of value only if you can sort out the vast amount of misinfo. It's not a far reach to call this the Misinformation age.
-
February 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Thanks bfish. Its a very informative site.
I (and I suspect, many audiophiles) have a tendency to link certain imperfections of sound reproduction, those that cannot be attributed to obvious defects of the sound system, to these "mystery" factors. But I'm improving, it only happens during the holiday season when I have time to think about such things.
Cheers.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks